Server maintenance is a prerequisite if you want your networks to run smoothly and efficiently, to avoid any downtimes which might translate to losses for your business. Server support services are usually rendered by in-house IT professionals or third-party firms who specialize in particular brands like HP or Dell. Servers are expensive and poorly maintained; You would end up spending a lot of money to replace them. While there are many aspects to proper server maintenance, it also depends heavily on the type of server and the operating system it is running on. Servers are usually of three types namely blade servers, rack servers and tower servers. If you are looking to know about server or storage maintenance services, we have come up with a guide that will talk about 5 things you must know about server support services:
- Backups: Performing regular backups is an essential part of the server support services that protect your invaluable data in the event of accidental failure or failure. You should test the restores regularly to ensure that your backed up data has not been damaged. You have chosen the correct backup location considering the partitions in your systems.
- Disk usage and RAID alarms: To make sure your servers are running at their optimal speed, check for unnecessary data such as logs or cookies. As a rule of thumb, disk usage should not exceed 90% of the server capacity as it will increase significantly. In addition, most servers are working in a RAID configuration, so it is important to monitor RAID alarms as a single hard drive can bring the entire server to a standstill.
- Application and OS update: Application and operating system updates are also an important part of server support. It is important that you regularly check for updates to your operating system and any applications you run in order to keep your network up and running.
- Physical maintenance: Physical maintenance of a server is also vital to keep it running smoothly. Servers can collect a lot of dust because they are bulky, making them prone to overheating and subsequent malfunction.
- Hire professionals: Server maintenance is not a chore for the ordinary, average IT professional, and a profound knowledge and experience is required to manage the various variables that can affect performance. It’s always a safe bet to hire third-party professionals or firms for IT server maintenance.
We’ve just briefed you on the five most important things you should know about server support services. Aside from these, there are a few nuances that you should consider when servicing servers, such as: For example, verify the correct use of remote administration tools, verify hardware failures, and verify system security. If you have any further questions about servers or are looking for quality server support services, we at Zaco Computers would love to hear from you. Have a great day!