A server is indeed required to run a business so that all the functioning happens smoothly and in a proper manner. For a small business, one might not need those advanced features in the server so the basic type should be considered which should be flexible or versatile enough to stay in use when the business eventually grows. Given below are some points to consider while buying a server for a small business:-
- Careful buying of a server could significantly save the business money which can be invested in other components. Thus, there is no need to buy a fully functional server running a server OS, if the only task for which it is required is to store or share files locally and securely. For this purpose, NAS (Network Attached Storage) can be used, as this will be most effective in case only data storage is expected from the server.
- One should be very clear about the business plans, i.e. measure and duration of business expansion. Then it should be decided about getting a tower server or rack-mount server, as both the types have different storage options. If one finds the business is growing quickly and it requires more than one server, then the rack server should be considered for buying.
- Storage options should be considered; either rack unit or tower server is bought, the number of drive bays these machine offer should be looked and choice should be made depending on the space required.
- Usage of the available resources should also be considered, as there is no point in getting the expensive high powered machine when the people working on it are very few. Such things should be kept in mind while picking the amount of RAM and physical CPUs required on the machine.
- It should be made sure that the server stays up and running all the time with no interruption, thus it should be looked for the ability to hot-swap hard drives (common in rack server).
- Investing in Refurbished Servers can save a lot for small businesses. Refurbished IBM Servers or Refurbished Dell Servers are reliable options.
Either it is maintaining records or storing important files on the cloud, an appropriate server should be bought as per the business requirement. Good Server Support Services should be preferred while buying a server; either it is a small business or a large workplace, as this will eliminate the future complications that might arise in a long run.